Tackling Teenage Acne
Most teens will suffer from acne at some point. Teenage acne is caused by an oily substance called sebum clogging pores, causing a breakout of spots on the face, neck, back, chest, and shoulders.
What is teenage acne?
Teens can suffer from varying degrees of acne, including:
- Whiteheads: White dots that are pores impacted with oil and skin covered by skin layers.
- Blackheads: Black bumps that are impacted pores in which material pushes out through the follicles. The black colour is not from dirt. It may be from bacteria, dead skin cells, and matter that react with oxygen.
- Papules, pustules or nodules: More serious lesions appearing red and swollen due to inflammation or infection of the tissue around the clogged follicles, which are often painful and feel hard.
- Cysts: Deep, pus-filled pimples.
Hormones called androgens play a huge role in teenage acne as these are increased in both boys and girls during puberty. Androgens cause the skin's oil glands to increase in size and produce more sebum. Genetics, diet and stress can also affect a teenager’s skin condition.Whilst acne isn’t a serious health risk, it can not only cause permanent scarring, it can also damage self-esteem.
Treatment for teenage acne
Aspire Clinic’s acne treatment, CLENZIderm M.D.™ for teenagers is clinically proven to penetrate deep in to the skin’s layers to target the source of acne, giving clearer skin fast – in as little as one week, treating existing blemishes and helping to prevent future breakouts.
P. acnes — the bacteria that causes acne — flourishes deep in the pores, making it difficult to reach. CLENZIderm M.D. is uniquely formulated with 5% benzoyl peroxide (BPO) and salicylic acid to target P. acnes at the source.
Aspire also offers the Dermalux LED Phototherapy as either a standalone treatment for acne or as a complimentary therapy to the CLENZIderm M.D. treatment.
Dermalux is a relaxing, pain free treatment with no downtime. The treatment uses the following LEDs to trigger a variety of skin enhancing processes, meaning that visible benefits continue to appear even after the treatment has finished.
- LED Red to boost collagen and elastin production, even out skin-tone and texture, soothe redness and shrink enlarged pores.
- LED Blue to calm the skin and help to improve skin clarity. It is also a powerful anti-bacterial treatment that treats acne, normalises oil production and prevents breakouts.
- Near Infra-Red to calm redness and irritation in the skin. As well as being anti-ageing, it also helps relieve pain and inflammation on the skin.