How to Avoid ‘Maskne’ – 4 Top Tips to Protecting Your Skin Whilst Wearing a Facemask
Whether it’s required as part of your work, travelling on public transport, or worn whilst shopping, facemasks are rapidly becoming the new normal.
But what does this mean for the skin under the facemask?
With skin covered up for long periods of time, the air is not able to circulate and the skin is unable to breathe. Surface bacteria, such as sweat, moisture and makeup can build up behind the mask, and be left lying on the skin for hours. This, along with the fabric of the masks rubbing against the skin, can cause the area around your chin, mouth and nose to become inflamed and sore, prone to dryness, friction and irritation rashes, and acne breakouts.
Aspire’s skin experts have come up with 4 great tips to help protect your skin and avoid what is becoming commonly known as ‘Maskne’.
1. Choose the right sort of mask
- If you are using a reusable mask, make sure it is cotton and not synthetic. Natural fabrics are kinder to the skin.
- Remember that breathable fabrics can filter the air in, so an extra layer of tightly woven cotton may be necessary.
- If you are using single-use masks, opt for cotton-based ones.
- If your skin is sensitive or prone to irritation, use a gentle barrier cream.
2. A clean mask means clean skin
- Masks should be washed after each use to destroy any bacteria that may come into contact with the skin.
- Purchase a couple of masks so you can rotate and wash to avoid having to use a dirty mask.
- To avoid skin irritation from detergents, you can wash your mask in boiling water without soap.
- If using single-use masks, be strict with yourself and dispose of it after each use.
- If you really need to reuse a single-use mask make sure you air it for 48 hours.
- Make sure your hands are cleaning when touching your mask.
3. Love your skin
- Invest in your skin; you’ll wear it every day for the rest of your life.
- Learn as much as you can about your skin type and the sort of products you should be using.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated.
- Have make-up free days to give your skin a rest.
- Stick to a skincare regime – ideally cleansing, toning and moisturising twice daily.
- Not sure what you should be using? Book a free consultation with one of Aspire’s skin experts, who will take you through a step-by-step guide.
4. Treat your skin to Vitamin C
- Products containing Vitamin C are ideal for giving your skin that extra TLC.
- Vitamin C speeds up the skin’s natural repair system.
- Vitamin C reduces pigmentation.
- Vitamin C evens skin tone.
- Vitamin C retains moisture.
- Vitamin C reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant, which protects the skin from the damage caused by harmful free radicals found in pollution and UVA and UVB rays.
- Purchase your Vitamin C products from the Aspire shop and get free delivery on all orders.